We did something crazy. MOM did something crazy. (How out of character, right? *rolls eyes*)
Remember back in July when Mom and Dad first started looking for a new dog? Remember how they met Molly?
And remember how they really loved her but her medical issues were a financial burden that they couldn’t handle?
Well, Mom hasn’t stopped thinking about Molly. She kept checking to see if Molly had been adopted yet but was always disappointed when she would see Molly’s sweet face on the website. She started dreaming about her and seeing her pictures everywhere (mostly various facebook pages). Three weeks ago, she was at the courthouse for work and there, in the middle of the lobby, was Molly’s mugshot. Dead center of a bulletin board with about 20 other dogs looking for homes.
She got out to her car and called Dad. She told him how she felt like Khia was still pushing her to get Molly and that it was a big mistake not getting her. Dad, being as crazy as he is, said, “So let’s go get her!” Mom, as rational as she tries to be said, “But what about the heart worm and all the dental problems? We don’t have money for that! Not to mention a third set of flea and heart worm preventatives!”
When Mom got home from work, they continued to talk things over. Another major concern was that the shelter told Mom and Dad that Molly had an “incident” in the play yard with another dog and they didn’t think she’d do well with other dogs. They weren’t worried about me causing problems but Macy is so rude that they figured Molly would kill her in two seconds if what the shelter said was true.
After much back and forth, Mom decided the best thing to do was take Macy and Me down for a “meet and greet”. If that didn’t work, Mom could put the whole thing to rest and not even worry about the medical/financial part of it all.
When we met Molly, everything went great. Now Mom was really in a bind.
Dad and her talked to the administrative peoples about different options. See, even though they knew Molly has heart worms, they weren’t treating her (other than monthly preventative). They also hadn’t done anything with her teeth. Mom and Dad were given 3 options:
- 7 Day Sleepover
- Adoption Ambassador: A 4-month fostering commitment
After mulling it over (Mom just taught me that saying), they decided on #3, the fostering program. As much as they wanted to adopt Molly right then and there, Mom knew they couldn’t do it, financially.
So, the very next day (10/17/15), which happened to be 6 months from the day Khia passed, Mom and Dad went back and sprung Molly:
I absolutely LOVE Molly. She reminds me SO much of my Khia. I love giving her ear licks.
Mom says she feels much more complete with Molly here. Molly makes her feel like Khia has more of a presence.
Cuddling with Mom
Macy is learning that she can’t be the brat she’s been because Molly will put her in her place. She really loves Molly, though. They roughhouse together all day. At least Macy’s finally leaving me alone!
Notice I’m nowhere to be found? I watch from a safe distance:
Molly has a vet appointment on Friday so some questions can be answered:
- How old is Molly? The shelter says 4 and Mom says no way in you know where.
- How many teeth does she need teeth pulled? On Tuesday of last week, she started showing signs of a lot of pain coming from her mouth. Almost all of her teeth are broken and quite a few have visible cavities.
- How severe is the heart worm? Is it severe enough to warrant the aggressive treatment or will monthly preventatives eventually cure it? Also, depending on her age, is it worth it to put her through aggressive treatment?
- What is that lump behind her left ear?
- Why does she yelp when she jumps? Is it her back or her hips?
- Is there anything else wrong with her?
Regardless of the answers, Mom and Dad really want Molly to become a permanent resident. Mom feels that we need to do this for Khia. At this point, the only thing preventing that from happening is being able to get her the care she needs. Unfortunately, that means we are going to have to figure out a way to take care of her financially. That’s why Mom has set up a GoFundMe page:
Once we have answers from the vet, the page will be updated with information on and the cost of Molly’s care.
We are reaching out to you, our friends, who have stood by us through our happiest times and our roughest times. We need your help. Anything you can spare is appreciated. Let’s give Molly a fighting chance!