Friends! Can you believe it’s Monday already?!?!
Where shall I take you this Monday? Hmmmm……
Oh! I know! Let me tell you about the time Mom and Dad rescued a whole litter of baby possums. September 2014.
Do you see how many there are in there?!?!?! They were sleeping in this pic – it was the middle of the day.
It seems that there was a whole litter of baby possums under our house and, unfortunately, Dad accidentally spooked mama possum off and she never returned. One by one, Dad caught them in live traps.
This one was covered in poo and ants so Dad hosed it off gently. Look at that silly thing!!!!
Wide awake during the night!
This wasn’t the first time they did a possum rescue mission!
No, here’s the litter they saved May 2014:
They were much smaller!
And MUCH tamer!
Mom fell in love with them!
INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT POSSUMS
- Did you know that, contrary to popular belief, possums RARELY carry rabies? Their low body temperature makes it very difficult for the disease to survive.
- However, they can contract distemper and it is a REALLY sad sight to see one suffering from it.
- They eat a variety of things including bugs, fruits, eggs, frogs, snails, slugs, even skeletons of road kill!
- They will fight off cockroaches and rats, even killing them, to get first dibs on the snails and slugs in your garden.
- They have 50 teeth!
- Possums will drool excessively for 2 reasons – self-defense (who wants to be drooled on) and extreme contentedness.
SO, if you have a possum and you are petting it, you will be covered in drool. Just ask Mom because it happened with the baby in the pic just above!