Khia threw up this morning and was panting constantly. Around 12, I noticed Khia’s gums had gone pale. Dr. C had us rush her in.
Khia’s spleen is extremely large – from the top of her lungs down to her bladder. They think it is twisted and that’s what is causing it to be so large. She’s at extreme risk of it rupturing. A twisted spleen is very rare.
They don’t want to operate until the ultrasound report is received. Dr. L happened to arrive when we did. She was up the road and wanted to see if the report was in so she could call us. That’s why we love Dr. L.
Anyway, they called the lab and asked them to expedite the results. The doctors don’t want to go in blind and until they know more, they’re not even sure that they should open her up. They kept mentioning the possibility of having to “make a decision” this evening as Khia’s level of discomfort is through the roof.
We left her there so they could sedate her and put her on fluids. Their office does not have night staff so if we don’t get the results by 6, we have to go pick her up and transport her to the emergency animal hospital.
I should have listened to my gut as soon as she started acting weird when Mya died. Everyone kept telling me it was just depression but I could feel it wasn’t. Call it a mother’s intuition.
Oh, on top of this, Noodle’s throwing up now. As we were rushing Khia out the door he threw up 3 times. The vet is positive is not a contagious virus that Khia has but rather Noodle being distraught over her illness and us being upset. Since we got home, he has thrown up one more time. He’s laying next to me sleeping now and hasn’t moved an inch in 2 hours.
Will write when I know more. Thanks again everyone!