First, I would like to thank everyone for their kind words – words of support, love, understanding, and encouragement. I am sorry we have been unable to respond to each of you but things have been a mess.
We got into the vet early yesterday morning. After an ear cytology, blood work, and urinalysis, it was determined that Mya has a double ear infection and a UTI. The ear infections caused the head tilt and walking in circles, UTI caused the 105.3 fever, all things together caused the disorientation and falling. Vet said she is surprised to see that Mya’s organs are functioning so well at her age and that she is super healthy aside from the temporary infections and it is not her time to go.
Yep. I was ecstatic with that news. Then last night happened.
Let me start by saying Mya is still with us. Yesterday evening at 6:45, Mya hadn’t woken up for dinner. I went to her bed and woke her, noticed she was shaking, and took her sugar – 440 – very high but expected with the infections she has. I administered her evening insulin shot and decided to wait on dinner for a bit to give the insulin time to work. During the time we were waiting, Mya became unable to stand. By 7:15, she was unresponsive, although breathing and still shaking. She was completely limp and her breathing minimal and shallow. After waiting 20 minutes to see if there would be a change, I called my dad and told him he should come up to say his goodbyes. We decided not to go to the Emergency Vet as it didn’t appear she had very long and we wanted to let her go on her own, in her house, with people who love her holding her. Around 9:30, she moved her head. We thought it was an involuntary twitch but then she did it again. Before we knew it she was crying and trying to right herself – she had to go to the bathroom. I took her outside and had to hold her up but she peed and pooped. Still extremely weak and lethargic, we went back inside and she got a drink of water but was still unable to eat. Her sugar was now down to 140 and we gave her some watered down honey via syringe to keep her from crashing. Around midnight, she became weaker once more and started to slip away again. I just kept holding her and telling her how much she was loved. By some miracle, she made it through the night. She woke up this morning able to stand and walk, sugar level 180, and even ate her entire breakfast. A call to the vet still didn’t illicit the suggestion of euthanasia. Hopefully today’s round of antibiotics will give her body the push it needs to heal. She’s not out of the woods…not even close. Again, we are asking for prayers that she is comfortable. If that means saying goodbye, we’re ready. At the first indication of pain/discomfort, we will take her to the vet one final time. If she wants to fight, we’ll help her fight.
I don’t have the attention span to help Noodle blog but felt that since you have all been so kind to stop by and check in, the least we could do was provide you with an update. Please know how very important you all are to us. You are truly invaluable friends and we are so pleased that we have gotten to know you.